Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Definition of Art

Art is subjective. What I believe is art you could believe to be a piece of crap (my view of art is very postmodern). :) What art is to me could not be art to you. The thing about it, is that no matter what we think it is still art.

For example: If I put a bag of garbage next to a dumpster and called it art then it is art. If I stick it in a museum and people look at it they might say "oh yes! That's a great work of art", the next person may say "If I can do it, its not art" (Quoting Mr. Dyck).

In other words, someone brought up the quote "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" today in class. If I think a garbage bag thrown next to a dumpster is art than in my eyes its art. On the other hand if I threw that garbage bag, called it art, and if you say "anyone can do that!" then it is not art, in your eyes.

Art is also subjective because it is a display of someone's emotions. For example, if I am sad I will most likely paint, draw, write, sing, etc. about something dark, cold, sad, desolate, etc. I may want to be alone and write a poem about solitude. It is still art. It may be the "crappiest poem in the world" (as Kirk stated this morning). But its still art.

No comments: